FAQ - Education in Holland

Questions about the Dutch education system, degrees, and internships


What options do I have for studying in Holland?

You have several options for studying in Holland. You can enrol in an English-taught bachelor's, master's or PhD degree programme or short course. Or, if you speak Dutch, enrol in a Dutch programme. Read more about your study options. In the search engine for study programmes you can look for all study programmes taught in English. 

What is the difference between universities of applied sciences and research universities?

The Dutch education system has two main types of higher education institutions: research universities and universities of applied sciences. Research universities focus on the independent practice of research-oriented work in an academic setting. However, many study programmes at research universities also have a professional component and most graduates actually find work outside the research community.

Universities of applied sciences offer programmes that focus on the practical application of arts and sciences. Acquiring practical work and research experience through internships is an integral part of the professional study programmes offered at these institutions.

Which documents are usually required for admission?

For bachelor's programmes:

  • high school diploma at the appropriate level;
  • list of subjects with grades from your high school;
  • diploma showing your level of English (TOEFL or IELTS).

For master's programmes:

  • bachelor’s degree in the same field of study as your master's programme or equivalent;
  • list of subjects with grades;
  • diploma showing your level of English (TOEFL or IELTS).

For PhD programmes:

  • master’s degree in the same field of study as your research proposal or equivalent;
  • list of subjects with grades;
  • diploma showing your level of English (TOEFL or IELTS).

Each institution may require additional documents, such as a motivation statement, a curriculum vitae (CV), recommendation letter(s), or a copy of your passport and/or birth certificate. Some institutions require GRE and/or GMAT-results, portfolio, and so on, depending on the programme you are interested in.

Back to top of page

What level of English do I need to study in Holland?

This depends on the institution and/or study programme. The two English tests that are accepted in all institutions are:

IELTS: for this test you will need at least a result of 6.0. Some programmes may require a result of 6.5 or 7.0.

TOEFL: the minimum score for the Internet Based Test (IBT) is 80 (equivalent to 550 on the Paper Based Test, PBT). Some programmes require a higher score. Computer based result should be 213.

For art institutions other regulations may apply.

Can I do an internship in Holland?

If you are not interested in doing a study programme or course but want to do your internship in Holland, there are several options that are worth considering.

Find out more about your options for doing an internship.

What steps should I take if I want to study or do an internship in Holland?

You can use the checklist to help you find out which steps to take, how you can apply, where to look for scholarships and when to arrange your visa and other documents.

Where can I find information about the CIEE programme 'Internship USA'?

Since 1 August 2011 Nuffic no longer offers services for the CIEE. Students of Dutch higher education institutions can still use the CIEE services through the Dutch agents Fulbright and Kilroy.

last modified Jun 12, 2017 09:45 AM