FAQ - Letter from CAK

Questions about practical issues you may come across while you are in Holland

I have received a letter from CAK, stating that I need to take out Dutch public healthcare insurance. What do I do?

If you receive this letter you always need to take action within 3 months, or you will receive a fine of around € 380. If another 3 months later you still haven't taken out healthcare insurance, you will be fined a second time. 

Which action should you take?

If you work part-time next to your studies, or if you are doing a paid internship, you will have to get Dutch public healthcare insurance. If you live in the Netherlands for study purposes only, object to the letter by contacting the Sociale Verzekeringsbank. You can apply for an insurance assessment at SVB that will state that you are not obliged to get Dutch public healthcare insurance:

Go to the SVB webpage about insurance assessment


Not sure about your insurance position? Or do you need help with your objection? Please contact the Zorgverzekeringslijn for any questions in English about Dutch healthcare insurance. You can call their toll-free number 0800 64 64 6444 (on weekdays, 9.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.) or visit www.zorgverzekeringslijn.nl for more information. 

Calling from abroad? Dial +31 88 900 6960.

last modified Jul 14, 2017 03:40 PM