Doing an internship

If you want to do an internship in Holland, there are a few things to consider.

The question to answer first is whether the internship would be part of a study programme in Holland or a study programme abroad.

This will determine whether you need a work permit, the type of residence permit you need, the maximum internship remuneration that you can receive tax-free and whether social security contributions need to be deducted.

For more information on either of these scenarios see the menu on the left.

Getting work experience in Holland after your studies

Once you have received your diploma, you can apply for an Orientation Year permit. During this year, you are allowed to do an internship and have a paid or voluntary job.

More information

If you want to know more about being hired as an intern, read our guide for employers:

How do I hire an international student intern? (145 kB)

last modified Jul 31, 2019 12:02 PM