Internship as part of a programme abroad

If you are enrolled in a study programme abroad, you can do an internship in Holland, but there are some rules.

Work permit

If your internship period will be 90 days or less than 90 days, the internship employer will first have to apply for a work permit for you (in Dutch: Tewerkstellingsvergunning, or TWV).

You do not need a TWV if:

  • you are an EU/EEC national.
  • you are a Swiss national;
  • you are working within the framework of a European Union action programme. An example would be an Erasmus internship within the Lifelong Learning Programme.

UWV is the governmental organisation responsible for issuing TWVs. Although getting a TWV is strictly a formality, the application process can take up to around 5 weeks. Your internship employer can apply for a TWV at UWV. 

Residence permit

Depending on your nationality you need to have residence permit or not. If you stay a period of maximum 90 days you might need a Short Stay Visa. You can check this at the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

If your internship will last more than 90 days, you might need a residence permit. This procedure is called the Single Permit (in Dutch GVVA), a combined procedure for both a residence permit as well as a work permit.

Please note: If you are an EU/EEC national, you do not need a residence permit to stay in the Netherlands.

Internship pay

Interns usually get some form of payment. If you are staying in Holland for less than 6 months and you are spending at least 50% of that time on the internship, then your internship provider or employer can pay you tax-free.

However, if you are staying for longer than 6 months, your employer will usually have to pay tax over a large share of your salary. In that case, you are automatically covered by Dutch social security. You must then also take out Dutch public healthcare insurance.

last modified May 21, 2019 04:08 PM