Working while studying

All you need to know about working in Holland.

If you want to work alongside your studies, there are some things to keep in mind.

Please note that this information doesn't apply to doing an internship as part of your studies.

Read about internships

Working alongside your studies

If you are from the EU/EEA or Switzerland you are free to work without restrictions.

As of 1 July 2018 Croats have the same rights as other EU citizens and no longer need a work permit. 

Are you from another country than the ones mentioned above? Then there are some restrictions if you want to take a job beside your studies. You need a permit and you can only work for a maximum of 16 hours a week or, instead, you can work full-time during the summer months of June, July and August. You are allowed to work and do an internship at the same time.

Work permit application

Your employer needs to apply for your work permit. The organisation that issues work permits is called UWV.

Preparations to make during your stay


If you are studying at a Dutch host institution and you need to do an internship as part of your study programme, you do not need a work permit. Your host institution and your employer do need to sign an internship agreement.

Standard internship agreement for non-EU/EEA students as defined in Article 1f of the Foreign Nationals (Employment) Act Implementation Decree (BuWav)

Since April 2017 all international students may perform self-employed work for an unlimited amount of hours, in addition to their studies and part-time job (with a maximum of 16 hours a week). Students do not need to apply for a work permit with UWV for the performance of self-employed work. They do, however, have to register with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel).

Health insurance and jobs

You need to be aware that as soon as you pick up a job, you are obliged to take out Dutch basic healthcare insurance. This obligation also applies to students that are self-employed. If you do not meet this requirement you risk a huge fine.

Read more about healthcare insurance

Social security number

Various people may ask for your social security number (BSN). If you have a job, your employer will need to know your BSN. Insurance companies may also ask for your BSN.

When registering with your local council, you are automatically issued a BSN. 

Income tax

You are required to pay tax over your total Dutch income for the year. Scholarships may also be counted as income and added to the total. For more information on income tax, you can check with your employer or directly with the Dutch Tax Office.

last modified Apr 01, 2019 03:44 PM