Do you need a work permit when you are self-employed? How about when you do an internship? And how many hours are you allowed to work as an international student? 

In their flyer Working while studying in the Netherlands the Dutch Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment answers these questions and more. 

Dutch public health insurance 

As soon as you have a (part-time) job, you are required to have Dutch public health insurance.

Do you work on a self-employed basis? Please contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) and request an assessment of your so-called Wlz position. The SVB will decide whether you need to take out public health insurance or not.

Read more about health insurance

Social security number

If you have a job, your employer will need to know your so-called social security number, your BSN. Insurance companies may also ask for your BSN. When registering with your local council, you are automatically issued a BSN. 

Preparations to make when you want to work and study