Erasmus+ programme

The UK will no longer participate in the Erasmus+ programme after the current academic year. From the 2021-2022 academic year onwards you will not be able to study at a Dutch higher education institution through the Erasmus+ exchange programme.

The UK government has announced it will replace Erasmus+ with the Turing Scheme, to allow UK students to study and do work placements abroad.

Residence permit

From 1 January 2021 onwards, you will need a residence permit to live in the Netherlands as a UK national. We advise you to contact your Dutch higher education institution for further information about the residence permit procedure.

You can find more information about residence permits on the website of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND).

Work permit

If you want to work during your stay in the Netherlands, your employer must apply for a work permit for non-EU nationals (TWV). For more information, please go to the website of the UWV.

Tuition fees

Following Brexit, you will be treated as a non-EU/EEA citizen and required to pay non-EU/EEA tuition fees. For more information, please visit the Brexit page on and contact your Dutch higher education institution.

Healthcare insurance

You can no longer apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which has been replaced by the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date and then replaced with a GHIC card.

Please make sure you check your healthcare cover with your insurance company before you come to the Netherlands. Visit for more information.