Types of visa

Depending on your nationality, you might need a residence permit to stay in Holland.

If you are staying fewer than 90 days, you might need a ‘short stay visa’ or ‘Schengen visa’. For stays longer than 90 days, you might need an entry visa (MVV, depending on your nationality) and a residence permit (VVR).

As soon as your host institution receives an 'inwilliging' (a letter of approval from the immigration service), they will let you know. You can then apply for the MVV at the embassy or consulate in your home country.

Find out if you need a visa


The visa will usually allow you to travel throughout all countries in the Schengen area. Sometimes the visa is limited to a single country (for example Holland only) or a few countries (for example Holland, Belgium and France). In that case, the visa will only allow you to travel to and through that particular country or these particular countries.

With a short stay visa your stay in the Schengen area is limited to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. This means that once you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days you may not return until another 90 days have passed.

An entry visa is also valid for only 90 days and is meant to be followed by a residence permit for a longer period of time.

Multiple entry and single entry

With a ‘multiple entry’ visa you are allowed to travel in and out of the Schengen area during the validity of your visa.

With a ‘single entry’ visa you are allowed to travel within the Schengen area, but once you have left the Schengen area you cannot return without either a new Schengen visa for short stay, or a return visa for long stay.

last modified Jul 29, 2019 11:52 AM