Visas and permits

To enter the Netherlands for study or research purposes, you might need a visa and work permit. EU nationals do not need a visa to stay in the Netherlands or a work permit to work in the Netherlands.

Whether you need a visa or not, depends on:

  1. your nationality – as stated on your passport;
  2. the duration of your stay: shorter or longer than 90 days;
  3. your purpose of stay. 

Your institution needs to apply

When you enrol in a study programme, your host institution will contact you to start up the application procedure. If not, ask for help by contacting the international office (or if you are a researcher, the HR department) of your host institution.

Start preparations early

Although the IND will generally process the application quite fast, we recommend that you start the process early. It may take some time for you to collect all the relevant documents for your institution.

Use our Pathfinder tool to check which procedure applies to you: 

Find visa procedure

Please note: if you are NOT coming to study or to do a preparatory year or exchange programme, you need to check the website of the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) for the requirements.

last modified Feb 14, 2018 10:10 AM