You need to make sure that you are properly insured during your stay.

Healthcare insurance

By law, you must have healthcare insurance. The type of healthcare insurance you need depends on your personal situation.

Liability insurance

If you cause an accident and someone is injured or if you damage someone's property, you are responsible for paying all the costs of the accident. You might, for example, break something in your rented room. Or, on a more serious note, you might cause a road accident.

Accidents like these can be very expensive. You are therefore strongly advised to take out a good liability insurance policy, which will cover the costs in many cases.

In Holland, damage caused on the job is usually covered by the employer's liability insurance. If you are an intern, you are usually included in the company’s liability insurance, just like their regular employees. To be certain, however, please check with the company or organisation you will be working for.

Repatriation insurance

Repatriation means returning to your home country. If you happen to become seriously ill, you might prefer to get medical care close to home. It would be wise to have an insurance policy covering the costs of transferring back to your home country in these situations.

Household contents insurance

Household contents insurance covers the contents of your home against loss due to causes such as theft, fire or water damage.

Insurance checklist

Do you want an overview of the insurances you need to have in order to be properly insured during your stay in the Netherlands? Download the insurance checklist.

Insurance checklist (2540 kB)

last modified Apr 05, 2016 03:21 PM