Healthcare insurance

Everyone in Holland must have insurance for medical expenses. Which type of healthcare insurance you need depends on your personal situation.

There are three different types of cover: Dutch public healthcare insurance, an EU Health Insurance Card or a private insurance. If you answer the following questions, you will find out which option applies to you.

1. Do you have a part-time job or paid internship next to your studies in Holland?

2. Do you come from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland?

3. Do you have an EU Health Insurance Card?

Read our factsheet on health insurance for international students in the Netherlands(58.5 KB)

Dutch public healthcare insurance

If you are obliged to take out Dutch public healthcare insurance (zorgverzekering), you are free to buy insurance from any Dutch public healthcare insurance company. Ask your school, employer or internship provider if they can refer you to an insurance company that will give you a discount.

If you are obliged to take out public health insurance but you fail to do so, you may get a fine.

Please note that a Dutch public healthcare insurance only covers your medical expenses. You will need to take out a separate insurance to cover repatriation, liability, accidents, etc.

Read more about other insurances

Healthcare allowance

If you take out a Dutch public health insurance, you may be eligible for compensation for your insurance costs. This compensation is called healthcare benefit or healthcare allowance (zorgtoeslag).

EU Health Insurance Card

If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss national studying in Holland, but not working or doing an internship here, and if you are insured for your medical care through a national health system in your home country, you are probably eligible to receive a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which covers your necessary medical costs during your stay in Holland.

You can apply for the EHIC in your home country. More information on the EHIC is available on the website of the European Commission.

As long as you do not work or take up a paid internship in the Netherlands, you are not obliged to take out any additional insurance in Holland.

Private healthcare insurance

If you do not have an EHIC or the obligation to take out a Dutch public healthcare insurance as you will not work or do a paid internship next to or as part of your studies in Holland, you need to check whether your existing insurance covers your stay in Holland.

If not, you need to take out a new or special insurance policy for your stay in Holland.

The following two companies offer special insurance for international students:


AON Students Insurance

last modified Jul 10, 2015 03:28 PM
Was this information useful?